Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Lesson 10 Challenge

The Code for America project in San Antonio is quite exciting! When I wanted to check the Community Sourcebook of Zip Code Demographics, I got a "No such record" message. I was surprised to see a link for 2013 early voting locations.

When I checked the U. S. Census American Fact Finder for my home zip code, I was surprised to learn that only 12.8% of the population was a spouse in the household and 32% of the population were children in the household. Using the list of highest paid government salaries in Texas, I was surprised to see that the UT Austin special assistant gets paid more than either head coach! All three salaries were rather phenomenal.

Mobile technology could increase government access and services. Especially in emergencies people might initiate contact while they are thinking of an issue rather than waiting until later and possibly forgetting to pursue a matter.

Since not all citizens have mobile technology, I'm not sure having government services and elected officials "on the go" will dramatically affect our democracy.


No comments:

Post a Comment